George Frey - Getty Images
Ducks hold steady again with bye week while Oregon State and USC creep into the Top 10 and Arizona State and Stanford make the cut
1. Alabama - Not even thunder and lightning could keep the Crimson Tide from looking like the best team in the country for another week.
2. Oregon - Quite a friendly first half schedule for the Ducks. They get a week off before their first true road game at Arizona State on Thursday.
3. Florida - It wasn't pretty, but the Gators avoided a classic let down game by pulling it out at Vanderbilt on Saturday.
4. Kansas State - No shame in winning a close game at Iowa State this year, but the schedule only gets tougher for the Wildcats from here.
5. Notre Dame - The Irish defense looks fierce, but the offense is just the opposite and they needed the luck of the Irish to pull it out against Stanford.
6. LSU - The Tigers kept their national championship hopes alive with a gutty win over South Carolina, but it's hard to imagine them running the table from here unless their offense can start producing.
7. South Carolina - It's hard to imagine a tougher three-game stretch than what the Gamecocks are in the midst of facing Georgia, at LSU and at Florida in three weeks, but they can stay in the national title hunt if they can go 2-1.
8. Oklahoma - The Sooners reminded everyone that they are still a great team by putting Texas away before a lot of people on the West Coast were even awake.
9. Oregon State - I don't think even the most optimistic Beaver fan would have believed you if you told them that they were going to be ranked in the Top 10 halfway through the season, prior to their opening game. The Beavers responded to losing their starting quarterback by putting up the most points they have all season.
10. USC - The Trojans are quietly lurking, not blowing teams away, but doing what they need to do priming for a showdown with the Ducks in a few weeks.
11. Ohio State - The only ranked team in the Big 10 isn't eligible for post-season play and just gave up 49 points to Indiana. Not good Big 10.
12. Louisville - The Cardinals just played their first conference game in the trimmed down Big East. Will be interesting to see what voters do with this team if they can remain undefeated.
13. Georgia - The Bulldogs probably needed a week off to recover from the beating they got from South Carolina. The good news is that they have about as favorable of a remaining schedule as a team in the SEC could hope for as they avoid Alabama and LSU this year.
14. Florida State - The Seminoles now just have to hope to avoid another slip up in the ultra weak ACC and hope that they can show up in their annual game with Florida.
15. Mississippi State - The Bulldogs showed that they are solid by beating Tennessee on Saturday, but will still need to prove that they can play with the big boys in the SEC.
16. Clemson - Like Florida State, Clemson has a chance to make some noise if they can win the games they should and show up against South Carolina in their rivalry game.
17. Texas Tech - Well that came out of nowhere. The Big 12 looks incredibly deep, but that might end up hurting the conference if everyone keeps knocking each other off.
18. West Virginia - All the BCS Championship and Heisman talk seemed to disappear in a flash in the first half in Lubbock on Saturday.
19. Rutgers - Rutgers has the chance to stay undefeated for a long time as their next three games are against Temple, Kent State and Army before they play Cincinnati in mid-November.
20. Cincinnati - Why is the Big East still a BCS conference? Cincinnati follows a game against Fordham with a game against Toledo in October?
21. Texas A&M - The Aggies held on against Louisiana Tech in one of the weirder games of the year. How will their speedy offense hold up against LSU's monster defense next week?
22. TCU - TCU looked good putting a tough loss and the disappointing exit of Casey Pachall behind them by bouncing Baylor.
23. Arizona State - The Sun Devils will try to avoid following Arizona and Washington's pattern of getting ranked and then immediately getting blown out by Oregon.
24. Boise State - The Broncos best hope is really to keep winning and hang around this territory in the rankings.
25. Stanford - Sure, they may have been hurt by a bad call, bu the Cardinal should mainly be upset with themselves for even letting Notre Dame get it into overtime.