PASADENA CA - DECEMBER 04: Quarterback Richard Brehaut #12 of the UCLA Bruins celebrates Johnathan Franklin's (not pictured) touchdown in the first half against the USC Trojans at the Rose Bowl on December 4 2010 in Pasadena California. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
Well, the college football offseason is now really under way. Or, if you'd like, we can call it the countdown until fall camp. It's your preference, really. But with UCLA's spring game in the books -- it was held at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena last Saturday -- we can start looking toward August and September. Football, sadly, is still a few months away. Without further delay...
- Let's start with the Bruins. This is about two days old, but it's informative nonetheless. Bruins Nation reflects on UCLA's spring game scrimmage, and of course, provides a few tidbits about the ongoing quarterback competition. For now, it looks like it's Richard Brehaut vs. Brett Hundley. Jon Gold, the UCLA beat writer for the L.A. Daily News, wrote that Brehaut and Hundley "kind of stole the day" last Saturday.
- Speaking of the quarterback position at UCLA, Chris Foster of the Los Angeles Times provided a somewhat mind-boggling stat: no Bruin signal caller has been selected in the NFL Draft since 1999 when Cade McNown was taken by the Chicago Bears in the first round. I'll have more on this in the coming week.
- For the 10th straight year, Bruce Feldman, now with CBS Sports, has assembled his "Freak List," highlighting some of the best athletes in college football, who are, well, really strong and really fast. The list wasn't filled with a ton of Pac-12ers, but USC sophomore wideout Marqise Lee did make the cut and was listed at No. 10. Remember, Lee caught 39 passes for 609 yards and six touchdowns during USC's last four games in 2011. I guess that could classify as freakish.
- Which quarterback would you select in the 2013 NFL Draft: Matt Barkley or Landry Jones?
- Former Oregon and NFL quarterback Joey Harrington is now retired. At 33, he's living in Portland with his wife with a second child on the way.
- SI.com's Stewart Mandel recently compiled a list of 10 things we learned this spring. No. 2 on his list: Oregon will have its fastest offense yet.
- Sure it's May, but California Golden Blogs tries to forecast the 2012 season.
- And don't forget this: former USC assistant coach Todd McNair filed a lawsuit last summer against the NCAA. Recently a judge in the case ordered the NCAA to turn over emails and other documents pertaining to the Reggie Bush investigation. In related news, McNair is going to get paid.
- One final note, the Pac-12 held a post-spring media teleconference this morning. The audio link should be posted here later this afternoon. All 12 schools were represented in some form.
For everything related to Pac-12 football, basketball and Olympic sports, stay tuned at Pacific Takes or follow us on Twitter.