Last week: 3-2-0
Home team in CAPS.
Thursday, October 2nd, 7:30 PM PDT
#2 OREGON (-24) over Arizona
- The Ducks will wear pink lettered jerseys tonight in an effort to support Breast Cancer Awareness, with a portion of the apparel sold going to the Kay Yow Fund. Hopefully, this "portion" is larger than the NFL's embarrassing 8% of proceeds given to cancer research from their sale of pink apparel.
Thursday's uniform is designed to help raise awareness for women's cancers @KayYowFund #Play4Kay #GoDucks pic.twitter.com/nT1COEKFPy— Oregon Football (@WinTheDay) September 30, 2014
- And the Wildcats will be wearing red helmets just because:
We'll be wearing red helmets on Thursday vs. @UTSAFTBL. #AZvsUTSA #BearDown pic.twitter.com/un9rcvYv59— Arizona Football (@ArizonaFBall) September 2, 2014
Saturday, October 4th, 12:30 PM PDT
#9 NOTRE DAME (+2) over #14 Stanford
- DID YOU KNOW?: The winner of the Notre Dame-Stanford football game receives the Legends Trophy, made of Irish crystal (whatever that means) and California redwood. Also, Notre Dame plays six "rivalry" games this year, in case you were wondering how annoying they are.
The Legends Trophy at stake Saturday. At the Stanford-ND Legends Luncheon in Santa Clara. #gostanford @StanfordFball pic.twitter.com/1BuKQIFHZu— Mike Eubanks (@maeubanks) November 29, 2013
1:00 PM PDT
COLORADO (+6.5) over Oregon State
- 20 years ago last week, Colorado stunned Michigan in the Big House with a Hail Mary touchdown pass to win the game. Some of you might not know this, but Colorado and Michigan used to be good teams.
- Oregon State wide receivers coach Brent Brennan has begun to wear the costume of Benny Beaver on recruiting trips to high school football games. Harmless fun? Or a clever plot by Brent Brennan to increase the amount of recruiting trips he can make? Brennan 1, NCAA 0.
4:30 PM PDT
Arizona State (+12) over #16 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
- Mike Bercovici's Heisman campaign makes a stop at the Coliseum on Saturday:
#ASU QB Mike Bercovici on #USC "They’re not going to be able to say anything about anything, because they’re going to be sucking wind."— Josh Webb (Twist) (@FightOnTwist) October 1, 2014
- Reports are out that the Trojans will face ASU with their new, shinier, Christmas-y helmets. They look... fine? What was the point of this?
Hmmm, new USC helmets? --> http://t.co/OfXZPh1auB pic.twitter.com/Ngi9IbiyTK— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) July 10, 2014
7:30 PM PDT
WASHINGTON STATE (-3) over California
- At last Saturday's post-game press conference, WSU coach Mike Leach offered his take on how the human race will go extinct. What are his thoughts on the Singularity?
Mike Leach on technology and the future of dating. More to come on SportsLink. #WSU pic.twitter.com/UJleWInKcd— Jacob Thorpe (@JacobThorpeSR) September 29, 2014
- Nicholas Dirks, Cal chancellor and part-time Mark Twain impersonator, announced last week that student athletes admitted to UC Berkeley might now have to carry a C+ average (or maybe even a B- average!) in high school, rather than a C average:
RT @M_Vernon: Cal task force recommends slightly stiffer admissions standards for athletes: http://t.co/13TAfZXSgK pic.twitter.com/gjDdhoiVsE— SFGate (@SFGate) September 26, 2014
7:30 PM PDT
Utah (+13) over #8 UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
- SI has a nice write-up on some Utah traditions. Not mentioned is the old Ute tradition of Jon Huntsman giving a pep lecture on China-US relations to the team before every home game. Weird but true.*
- SI also wrote a piece on UCLA traditions, mentioning the fact that there was a real live bear that hung out on the sidelines during games. Why don't they do this anymore?!?!
Song of the Week
Generationals are good.