ESPN has been rolling out individual team previews, with arbitrary best case and worst case records for each school. For instance, they list ASU's best case record at 10-3, and their worst case record at 4-8. This is stupid. If ASU wins 10 games in the regular season, then their BEST case scenario is LOSING in the Pac-12 Championship and then LOSING in a bowl game? I would think they have a shot to win that game. Conversely, if ASU loses their first seven games in a row, they probably have a good shot to lose more than eight. In reality, ASU's best case record is 15-0 and their worst case record is 0-12. And every other team's best case record is 15-0 and their worst case record is 0-12 as well.
- Last week, RichRod said he was against scheduling only Power 5 conference teams, saying that "some of those [Group of Five teams] are better than the so-called 'haves' [Power Five teams]." Uh, coach, this year you're playing UNLV (who lost to Arizona 58-13 and Minnesota 51-23 last year), Nevada (who lost to UCLA 58-20 and FSU 62-7), and UTSA (who lost to Arizona 38-13 and Oklahoma State 56-35). Fun fact: the next non-conference Power 5 opponent for Arizona is SEC powerhouse Mississippi State in 2022.
- Congrats to Chip Sarafin, who, in case you missed it, became the first openly gay FBS football player! Hopefully, this won't be news in the future.
- Cigar Aficionado has ranked the Golden Bears as the worst team in college football. In other news, who gets football news from Cigar Aficionado?
- Contrary to his Wikipedia page, coach Mike MacIntyre did not work at Shoney's.
- Oregon State has agreed to play Ohio State in 2018. That will be a confusing score board. OSU (Oregon State) is already being confused with another OSU.
- Condoleezza Rice is not allowed to vote for Stanford as a member of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee, but former coach Tyrone Willingham is.
- The Bruins and a handful of other teams use GPS to track players on the field, making the players technically cyborgs.
- FIGHT SONG UPDATE: While the school has changed the words of Utah's fight song to be more inclusive, the football team will vote for what version they will sing this year.
- Grantland included backup QB Max Browne as one of the ten freshmen that can make an immediate impact this year, citing USC's tough early schedule presenting a challenge for Cody Kessler. Ouch.
- Things got awkward between Boise State and Chris Petersen when he agreed that Power 5 teams should only play Power 5 non-conference opponents. Then he backtracked.
- You can probably find a good ticket for the Cougar's opener against Rutgers in Seattle.
Completely Arbitrary Bowl Projections
Since there has been no news about Cody Kessler taking a selfie this past week, USC is back in the postseason.