Media days are over! Practices have started! The Pac-12 Network announced that it has not yet reached an agreement with DirecTV! That can only mean that WE ARE LESS THAN A MONTH AWAY FROM COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!
- Here’s one of the latest videos from RichRod and company, entitled "Arizona Fast #TheNewNormal". Because nothing represents speed like the name of a cancelled NBC sitcom.
I guess RichRod is pretty psyched for that UCLA game on November 1st.
- Some schools practice to classic rock or top-40 songs. The Wildcats practice to the Macarena, Barbie Girl, and the sound of a baby crying.
#18 Arizona State:
- Panic on the streets of Tempe:
ASU announces new football tailgating restrictions which includes a ban on kegs. Details: http://t.co/5Darn99dgG— House of Sparky (@HouseOfSparky) July 31, 2014
firedresigned Cal AD Sandy Barbour, who oversaw some of the worst graduation rates in the country, accepted the same job at Penn State. Wait, what?
- To be honest, there's not that much excitement surrounding Colorado football right now. So here's a list of British things to do in Boulder.
- Carl's Jr. sponsored scratch-and-sniff tickets will be issued to season ticket holders this year. This would be pretty cool if we were in the 1980s.
- Two years ago, after Oregon defeated Oregon State 48-24, a drunk Beavers fan was caught on camera heckling Ducks players, shouting "No natty!" in reference to the national championship. Here are the best quotes from that video, ranked.
#USC QB Cody Kessler reluctant to take a selfie here at Pac-12 Media Days. Gotta think that's symbolic. He knows it's not all about him.— Michael Lev (@MichaelJLev) July 23, 2014
- The Cardinal have the 6th toughest schedule in the nation, second only to Utah in the conference.This is pretty amazing, considering that Stanford does not have to play Stanford.
- In case you missed it, the Bruins and Adidas unveiled new "LA Steel" uniforms, which would be a fitting name if Los Angeles had a steel industry. Also, their undershirt features the downtown LA skyline, which makes sense because they play in downtown LA once every two years.
City of Angels. City of Bruins. UCLA pays tribute to L.A. with new #LASteel alternate TECHFIT uniforms. #teamadidas pic.twitter.com/WobZVhu8XI— adidas Football US (@adidasFballUS) July 16, 2014
- New uniforms were revealed and the sleeves are stupid.
Captain Nate Orchard pic.twitter.com/omseR6L3DQ— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) August 6, 2014
- This video was weird, especially when Bane started talking:
- And this video made me want to suit up for Coach Petersen:
- One of the more interesting things we learned at Pac-12 media days was that Mike Leach appeared in the movie Grunt! The Wrestling Movie (1986), which I assume is a movie about wrestling.
Tweet of the Week
If the supercontinent Pangaea spontaneously reunited, the US would border the Ebola epidemic: http://t.co/0zkMNCgcbH pic.twitter.com/3rzV0kZrpq— Vox (@voxdotcom) August 5, 2014
This would definitely boost Pac-12 recruiting.
Completely Arbitrary Bowl Projections
I predict that two Pac-12 teams will make the inaugural College Football Playoff. Can this actually happen? Probably not, but I'm going to project it anyway.
Rose Bowl presented by Northwestern Mutual (playoff): Stanford (12-1) vs. Duke (13-0)
Allstate Sugar Bowl (playoff): Arizona State (12-1) vs. Alabama (12-1)
Valero Alamo Bowl: Oregon (10-2) vs. Manchester United (11-5-3)
National University Holiday Bowl: UCLA (9-3) vs. Illinois (8-4)
Cactus Bowl: Washington State (8-4) vs. Northwestern (6-6)
San Francisco Bowl: Utah (7-5) vs. Louisville (8-4)
Hyundai Sun Bowl: Washington (7-6) vs. Boise State (9-3)
Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Oregon State (6-6) vs. Ohio State (6-6)
USC goes 5-7 because Cody Kessler took a selfie.