It's May, sure, but the consensus already seems to be: USC quarterback Matt Barkley will be a top-five NFL draft pick next spring at the very least.
For the Pac-12, this is the final week of spring practice. UCLA concludes its spring workouts on Saturday with its annual spring game at the Rose Bowl. So this, technically, is the final week of football until we reach August. Take it all in, folks. Here are a few things you should be reading.
- Speaking of UCLA, it appears as if new coach Jim Mora has found his signal caller. Well, maybe. Though the quarterback competition is ongoing, he says, redshirt freshman Brett Hundley has emerged as the possible favorite to take over under center.
- And as the Bruins begin their final week, their 13th session is this afternoon at Spaulding Field at 3:45 p.m., SB Nation's UCLA blog, Bruins Nation, talks about the last few remaining spring workouts.
- Do you like 2013 NFL mock drafts more than 300 days until the actual draft? Either way, The Big Lead put one together and it has USC quarterback Matt Barkley being selected by former Trojans coach Pete Carroll and the Seahawks with the No. 4 overall pick in the draft. Though if Seattle is picking fourth, is Carroll doing the picking at that point, anyway?
- Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News also breaks down the Pac-12's top draft prospects for 2013 (hint: the No. 1 guy is a quarterback from Orange County).
- Regarding this year's draft, ESPN's Pac-12 Blog discusses the impact of Stanford tight end Coby Fleener joining Andrew Luck in Indianapolis.
- One interesting development for USC during last weekend's draft was the fact it had just three players selected over the course of the seven rounds -- the lowest since 2002. ESPNLA examines what that means for the program.
- Seattle Times columnist Jerry Brewer writes that it's "absurd" to say Washington running back Chris Polk should have stayed in school.
- We'll leave you with something to listen to: The Solid Verbal, the popular college football podcast hosted by Ty Hildenbrandt and SB Nation's own Dan Rubenstein, had Andy Staples of SI.com on last night to discuss the movement toward a playoff, among other things. To listen, check it out here.
For everything related to Pac-12 football, basketball and Olympic sports, stay tuned at Pacific Takes or follow us on Twitter.