Here's how it went down for any of you who were not paying attention to any of this.
- Rob Moseley and the Register-Guard went looking for the Ducks quarterback after practice after getting word from Chip Kelly that Bennett would only be used at quarterback this season. Couldn't find him. His uniform probably blended in with the grass.
- Moseley later found Bennett walking up from the parking lot, procuring a few quotes. Namely, that Bennett was going to talk about his future with his coach, and he was going to discuss whether he would stay a Duck. Oh. Well then!
- An Oregon ex-player apparently circulated that a Duck would be leaving the program in the morning. Moseley found out that afternoon this player was Bennett.
- Adam Jude of the Oregonian later confirmed this.
- Then Jude and Aaron Fentress said Bennett reversed course and was staying in Eugene. He later confirmed he was staying for sure.
- Our own Josh Schlichter was on the ground. During the wait where a lot of people were presuming Bennett was making his decision to transfer, he found out from the Media Services Director that no roster sheet change had been made and Bennett had probably left without announcing a transfer.
- Finally, Justin Hopkins of 247Sports gave the rumor that Bennett didn't want to transfer at all, and actually went to Kelly in tears likely looking for a reason to stay. Who knows what it took to get Bennett to sway back to Oregon, but it looks like he was open to persuasion.
In any case, Oregon has to be happy with Bennett back. As excited as they must be about Marcus Mariota, health is a big issue in a run-intensive offense where the quarterback carries the football a lot. Bennett is needed for the Ducks to feel secure at both sides.