Craig Mitchelldyer - Getty Images
The USC Trojans and the Oregon Ducks both are perched behind the Alabama Crimson Tide and LSU Tigers in our latest blogpoll. The Utah Utes also slip into the top 25.
1. Alabama - It is very hard to rationalize not rating the defending national champions number one after the absolute drubbing that they put on Michigan on a neutral field. The Crimson Tide defense looks like they replaced the NFL talent that they lost from last season's team with more NFL talent and until they lose they deserve to be No.
2. LSU - It's hard to draw much from a game against North Texas, but it looks like the Tigers might have their answer at quarterback in Zach Mettenberger and that could spell trouble for the rest of the country as the Tigers don't really have any other potential weaknesses.
3. USC - It is almost scary watching how good the Trojans passing game is with Barkley tossing it to Robert Woods and Marqise Lee. It is hard imagining anyone beating the Trojans in a shootout.
4. Oregon - Marcus Mariota showed just how good Chip Kelly's system is, as he led the Ducks to 50 points in the first half and they actually had to slow it down a bit to keep it at that.
5. Michigan State - The Spartans deserve serious accolades for beating Boise State this weekend as the Broncos had been the best team in the nation in big non-conference games in recent years. The Spartans defense looked deadly as they held traditionally prolific Boise State offense without a touchdown.
6. Georgia - The Bulldogs let Buffalo hang around a little bit until their offense exploded, but if Aaron Murray can run a passing game like the Bulldogs flashed on Saturday, it could be a serious asset in the run heavy SEC.
7. Oklahoma - Sooner fans who have grown weary of the team's ability to underachieve in recent seasons had to be very worried on Saturday when they struggled to get past UTEP. Oklahoma will be in wait and see mode until they show that they can play to their full potential.
8. Arkansas - As usual, the offense is out of this world, but after giving up 24 points to Jacksonville State, the Razorbacks defense is still questionable.
9. Kansas State - Put a hurting on Missouri State, but what does that really show. A sleeper team in the very good upper pack of the Big 12.
10. West Virginia - Like a lot of teams around the country, the Mountaineers clearly have an offense that can score a lot of points, but the defense will determine whether or not they can stay ranked among the nation's best.
11. South Carolina - Granted, almost any road game in the SEC is a tough one, but the Gamecocks barely got out of Vanderbilt alive and the Commodores are expected to be the worst team in the conference.
12. Florida State - The Seminoles opened the season by drubbing Murray State as opposed to their usual early season marquee non-conference let down. I guess we will have to wait until ACC play to see Florida State disappoint.
13. Nebraska - The Huskers win over Southern Miss shouldn't be sold short as the Golden Eagles consistently have one of the best defenses outside of the BCS conferences and Nebraska hung 49 points on them.
14. Notre Dame - The Irish pounded Navy, who have actually given them more than a lot of trouble in recent years, in Dublin. Hopefully they have recovered from their jet lag by next Saturday when they take on Purdue.
15. Oklahoma State - Yes, it was against Savannah State, but the Cowboys still won 84-0 and that is pretty hard to ignore.
16. Clemson - The Tigers got by Auburn in one of the best games of the first weekend. They look loaded with talent on offense and look like they could do serious damage in the ACC.
17. Texas - The Longhorns struggled to pull away from Wyoming, but the Cowboys have been tough in recent seasons. Either way, Texas is another team that is in wait and see mode.
18. TCU - Pretty much the only major team to have a Bye week in the opening week.
19. Michigan - Wow, that opener against Alabama hurt. Luckily for the Wolverines they will have the rest of the season to make up if Denard Robinson can recover from how badly the Crimson Tide embarrassed him.
20. Virginia Tech - The Hokies got one of the more solid wins of the weekend over Georgia Tech in dramatic fashion. Typically a team that starts off slow and gets better as the season progresses, a marque early season win could be a good sign.
21. Wisconsin - I really liked the Badgers coming into the season but they opened by barely beating Northern Iowa which isn't a good sign.
22. Ohio State - The Buckeyes destroyed a Miami of Ohio team that was predicted to be one of the best teams in the MAC. Not a marque win, but a solid one in an opening weekend full of terrible matchups.
23. Boise State - The Broncos finally weren't able to pull off a win in a big non-conference game, but going into East Lansing and almost winning against a defense as tough as the Spartans had with a brand new quarterbacks was seriously impressive.
24. Utah - One of the many teams to beat up on an FCS team in the opening week, the Utes have an intriguing trap game next Friday at an underrated Utah State team.
25. Florida - The Gators still looked shaky at quarterback as they failed to do much on offense against Bowling Green. Another wait and see team.